From:
Steve Whitcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:58:35 -0600
Rocky is not yet 3 years old, but the many responses I've received this
morning indicate it's not unheard of at that age.

As for how it's progressed, it's been gradual. First thing we really
had trouble with is pee / poop in the cage, on even on shelves near the
food and the beds. We didn't know at the time who was doing it, but now
that we've caught him going in odd places outside the cage, we're
fairly sure it's rocky. That has been going on for a few months now.

I'd say in the last month or so is when we really started noticing him
chewing on the other ferrets. It actually started with other males, but
he does pick on the female sometimes. (3 males, 1 female)

Hair loss has been more recent. I guess it started thinning a month or
so ago, maybe a bit longer, but I thought it was just shedding.
Recently it's gotten really bad, but only from the back of his head to
the top of his front legs.

We've had ferrets before who lost most all of the hair on their tail.
We took them to the vet and he said not to worry about it. Sure enough,
it grew back, eventually. As a matter of fact, our female's tail is
very sparse right now.