From:
Joanne D'Amico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 13:57:26 -0400
how many of you, had a couple of standard pets such as dogs or cats
as children?

how many of you had close contact with more unusual species of
animals as children?

I have always had a dog and at least one cat ... in addition, pigeons,
fish, turtles, snakes, lizards, hamsters, mice, parakeets, small parrots,
cockatiels, rabbits, chickens, and later when married, a cow and most
recently, a bunch of Muscovy ducks.  My mom and her dad were animal
lovers, and in fact, my mom taught me to appreciate snakes, and showed me
how to capture them.  She was a big believer in caring properly for pets,
and once (late 1940s, early 1950s?) when our new puppy was very ill, and
the vet couldn't help, she actually cajoled our pediatrician into coming
out (house call!!!) and giving the pup a new miracle drug (penecillin).
We had that dog for another 18 years ...

I wasn't introduced to ferrets until I was 48 years old - and by then,
mom was a widow, and living with me .... she fell as hard and fast as
I did - used to get up at 6 AM, because my first ferret liked a bit of
minced cantaloupe at that time ... we currently have one dog (border
collie), one cat, and two ferrets.  The ferrets rule ....