Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 15:40:58 -0400
It is a warm humid night in the Bayou, with a hint of mist circling the
cypress knees and drifting up to the hanging moss.  In the distance a
voice can be heard singing a familiar song -

"Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-o
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou."

As you creep closer to the sound of singing, your nose picks up the
familiar aroma of Jambalya and Gumbo.  Being pulled by the wonderful
fragrance of cajun cooking, you slowly move forward to get a better look.
Peeking through the underbrush, you catch sight of Chef Renee standing
over a caudron with a bubbling concoction of vegetables and spices,
wafting an aroma almost too good to be true.  Fascinated, you watch as
Chef Renee takes a taste of the brew, adds a few spices and then tastes
again.  In her delight over her creation, she throws her head back and
starts singing again -

"Good-bye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh
Me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou.
My Yvonne, the sweetest one, me oh my oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou."

Sensing someone is watching, Chef Renee turns and asks why you dare to
disturb her in the middle of one of her finest creations.  So, you ask,
"What's all the fuss about?" The Cajun chef looks at you as if you just
landed from another planet, and explains, "You don't know????  I'm making
my finest Jambalya and Gumbo for the Shelter Dinner at Mississauga Valley
Park in beautiful Toronto, silly!  This is an annual dinner held to
benefit ferret shelters and everything must be perfect.  I must have the
spices just right because we will be serving this gourmet delight on
Thursday, June 22nd from 5PM to 8PM and there can be no mistakes.  The
dinner is free, but we are going to make sure everyone is so delighted
with this culinary masterpiece that they make lots and lots of donations
to benefit ferret shelters." With this being said, Chef Renee turns back
to her boiling pot and continues with -

"Thibodaux, Fontaineaux, the place is buzzin'
Kinfolk come to see Yvonne by the dozen
Dress in style and go hog wild, me oh my oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou-u-u-u-u-u".