From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 11:04:48 -0400
Nicholas writes
>Do you think there is any harm in feeding them Fruit Loops?

There is certainly no good in it.  The extent of the harm may be in
how many/often you feed them, and if any of your ferrets have insulinoma.
Fruit Loops are very high in sugar and what is not sugar is other
carbohydrates.  There is some evidence that high levels of carbohydrates
may lead to insulinoma.

You are far better off with other types of treats: small pieces of
cooked meat, egg or cheese, meat based treats like Totally Ferret Treats,
Rosie's Rewards or freeze dried meat treats, Bob's Chicken Gravy, a
different brand of kibble fed by hand (I've had ferrets who thought Path
Valley food was the best treat ever!), a few drops of Ferretone, etc.

Giving your ferrets Fruit Loops daily is like giving your kids Twinkies
and other junk food daily.  Yes I know some people do it; that's why we
now have an epidemic of obesity even among children in the United States.

Linda Iroff
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org