From:
Ferret Nook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 00:34:56 -0500
Sukie wrote:
>I am personally curious if any shelters plan to make dark sleeping
>boxes for those with a lack of space,...

We have two separate rooms for the shelter ferrets and since Barry and I
have completely opposite schedules, the lights are on more than we would
like.  We have remedied this by placing curtains made from heavy corduroy
on the windows, along with drawing the blinds.  One of our members was
kind enough to sew the curtains for us and also made curtains for the
doorway to each room.  We have screen doors with plexi-glass halfway up
instead of solid doors.  During the day the curtains in the doorway can
be drawn open and at night closed.  I was surprised how dark both rooms
are when the curtains are closed even though the living room lights are
on.  In most of the cages we have a Kritter Kube hung which gives the
ferrets complete darkness to sleep in even during the day.  The Kubes
have a slit for an opening instead of a round hole.  We place a baby
blanket in the Kube also.  A picture of the Kube can be seen on our
web site <http://www.kritterkoncepts.net/> .

For free roam ferrets, a Kube can be hung in a free-standing PVC pipe
frame.  Those of you who attended the Michigan Ferret Show last weekend
would have seen this stand with a Kube attached to it.  It was sitting on
top of the cage in front of our bedding display.  If interested, please
email me for details.

Kathy Fritz, Executive Director
Ferret Nook Shelter/Adoption Center
Cambridge, WI 53523