From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2006 13:11:08 -0400
Hello list readers-
Are jhere any veterinarian / medical folks who can answer the query -
will ferrets get pertussis from human exposures?

We are ( our area) in the midst of a pertussis outbreak.  The hospital is
trying to contain it by medicating all their staff and trying to provide
antibiotics to those known to have contact (visitors) with their infected
staff.

However the hospital serves a LARGE area and I have concerns about folks
with a cough bringing it into the shelter.  We have very young and
compromised elderly ferets!

Your insight is valued.

Appreciatively,
Alicia Drakiotes