From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:30:04 -0400
On Apr 25, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Tony torAMOSlo wrote:
>I have recived the swabs today so that all my ferrets can be tested
>for both ferret adrenal and pancreatic disease and by sending all
>the swabs to University Of California, Medicine & Epidmiology
>Department the results will help with their study on ferret adrenal
>and pancreatic disease.

Well, swabs will NOT test for those diseases themselves.

What they will do is to give a good idea of genetic make-up.  They aren't
perfect for everything that way but are very good.

This is for part of a large study which is trying to find out if some
ferrets may have genetic components which increase the chances of certain
diseases, including those two types.  Obviously, there are limits to what
can be covered, but it may be interesting for many reasons, including
possibly finding some vulnerability aspects.

I will include the FML in my reply because you also mailed to it, and
because there will be people wondering about if there is a new diagnostic
technique when they read your sentences above.  I think I may have used
up my day's posts because of re send of one lost in the ether recently,
though, so it will likely get rejected.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org