Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:19:31 -0700
I saw the potential for this problem and nipped it right in the bud.  The
solution was not in devising a way for them not to climb the cage (i.e.
clumsy partitions etc.)...countless no no's and corrections to their
behavior.  I watched my ferrets and learned what they are comfortable
with.  They are perfectly comfortable with going up the cage, it's coming
down that presents a problem.  They are unsure of the stepping of their
back feet first.  Tunnelling is a very natural thing to a ferret yes?
They have been known to run cables etc .  through narrow spaces (The
cathedral where Princess Di was married)  I'm assuming they did this and
accomplished the mission without injury to the ferret.  SO, what I did
was run french drain tubing from the tops of the cages to the floor.  I
anchored it with the extra thick bungee cords and even hung some from
the ceiling with bungees hanging from ceiling hooks.  Not only do they
utilize the tubing for getting down from the cage tops but they seldom
ever climb the cage and use the tubing for going up as well.  What really
fascinates me is how they learn the routes.  They know which tubes go to
cage tops and which go to the floor...very intelligent creatures...This
has worked for me and I hope it works for you too.  It could be a
lifesaver and the investment is under $20.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html