From:
Marie Coddens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 06:19:04 -0700

Julie, you said:
>Keeping ferrets intact and outdoors, which I understand is how yours are
>kept, isn't practical for most of the households in the United States
>that have pet ferrets.  They are pets and most people that acquire them,
>do so, because they want the interaction.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions in the US about how ferrets are
kept in Europe, Australia or elsewhere.  The same can be said about the
European perspective of American husbandry.

A more natural way of keeping ferrets doesn't necessarily mean working
ferrets living outdoors with no ot little interaction with their humans.

My hobs are intact, they are fed a natural diet mainly consisting of
preys and I try to provide them with sufficient darkness but they do live
indoors, have all the soft blankies, hammocks and toys you can think of,
they have plenty of human interaction, playtime etc.  They are, indeed,
pets.  I'm far from being alone out there.  Many of my ferret owning
friends keep their fuzzbutts the same way.

And you're right Julie, it's not the most pratical solution.  Neutering
and kibble *are* a heck of a lot more convenient.  I mean, whole hobs do
stink, mark, have to be separated from the jills and feeding whole preys
does require a very large refrigerator that can hold dozens of kilos.

I guess it all comes down to a matter of choice.  I do wish there weren't
so many misconceptions, stereotypes and preconceived notions though.

Marie