From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:49:35 -0500
In case they might transport some of the poison feed your ferret in
the cage and if necessary also cover the cage with window screening.

Find out what TYPE of poison is being used and discuss it with your
vet and with one of the animal poison control places (which charge per
case rather than per call):

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's emergency hotline at
1-888-426-4435
Angell Memorial Animal Medical Center Pet Poison Hotline
1-877-2ANGELL (1-877-226-4355)

Get Havaheart traps.

You will also be interested in zoonotic diseases that ferrets or humans
can get from mice.  Ferrets can get a few; humans can get more.  Here
are ways to start learning:
http://www.anapsid.org/chomel.html
(but the CDC rabies sentence is not right as of the last time I spoke
with Dr. Charles Rupprecht who heads the CDC's rabies division)
http://omni.ucsb.edu/connect/acc/policy.html%23Rodentia
http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2001/07_01/morrison.htm

Among humans about 60% of the diseases we get can also be zoonotic;
with rodents a (the?) real biggie as a single Order vector, which is
not a surprise taxonomically.  There are few ferret-human zoonoses
compared to a many other domestic pets.  (Having had a British grandma
the word "pet" for me goes back to its English use as someone -- human
or animal -- whom one loves and cuddles.)

Here are fine reference sites for FML members, some not on the
http://www.ferretcongress.org
site because I simply have lacked time.  (The last few months saw
three deaths in my side of the family and more things that require
me or unavoidably takes time from me so I have been very busy and very
distracted and have to get back to several projects once things slow
down which looks like it won't be for at least a few months.)

http://www.vetsoftware.com/acvc2002-hess2.htm
http://www.vspn.org/LIBRARY/WWWDirectory/Mammals_Small_Exotic.htm
http://www.aemv.org
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/ssclinic/index.htm
appears to still be under construction but it will be exotic pathology;
currently reference ranges are included
http://www.vet.uga.edu/ivcvm/1999/PAPERS.htm
(This one is old so I hope the internet veterinary conference resume.)
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/specrad/radiology/entrance.html
exotics radiology
http://sacs.vetmed.ufl.edu/notes.htm
veterinary class lectures but requires Internet Exploder -- opps,
Explorer

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan