From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:09:35 -0500
Hi folks,

Jerimiah here-  Lots and lots going on as always at the shelter!

JUst a not to update you on our GI ferret buddy Dargo.  Our older guy 6.5
years more or less, has had a full few days at the vets ( he is with Dr
George, one of two vets who cares for Ferret WIse kids on a regular
basis).  Dargo had begun melatonin implants for minor coat problems upon
admission (July 2004) when his Dad was in active duty for training prior
to Iraq deploymennt, and in the last three months had also had lupron
injections due to continuing hair loss.  Unfortunately he was not
responding to treatments and was looking sparse at best, so he was
scheduled for an assessment at the vets.  His buddy Boo-Boo already has
had adrenal surgery adn is maintained on melatonin, lupron etc .

Dargo's work up on Tuesday ( x-ray, blood, urine, palpation, etc.)
indicates that the adrenal(s) have not metasticized to the nearby organs,
his blood count is within limits so he will have surgery today (Weds)
and he is scheduled to return back to hospice care on Thursday afternoon,
God willing.

We still have some ebay auction stuff still running and NEW Items will be
listed shortly - BIG Thanks to the great folks at Performance Foods for
their donation of 2 very special items that will be listed shortly on
Dargo's ebay !!!  Mom will know what else we need to do to pay Dargo's
bills after she checks with the hospital today!

To find the special Dargo items just search on ebay for "Dargo ferret"
and for shelter search "ferret wise" and THANK YOU in advance from "ME"
the chocolate spotted boy here at Ferret Wise.  Yeah, Donna S ( my first
shelter Mom) did not even recognize me when she stopped in last weekend -
CAN YOU IMAGINE?  She thought I was an albino.  Well, we will fix that -
I get my lupron on Friday and next month another melatonin my spot will
be bright again!

Thank you to those who forwarded donations toward Dargo's veterinary /
surgical care.  We have raised to date $225 towards vet & surgery costs
and are awaiting proceeds from several ebay auctions as well.  We also
thank those readers and friends for their prayers on Dargo's speedy
recovery.  We will keep you apprised of his condition.

The shelter is also hoping to purchase additional melatonin implants
for the Ferret Wise "Hairclub for ferrets" kids.  Anyone who has some
creative ideas for continued fund raising to help keep our senior kids
healthy, the staff would be most appreciative.

Mascot Jeremiah is having a health assessment this coming Friday.  He
is having some periodontal issues so some tests will be run to find the
cause on his recent flare ups.  I am sure Jerimiah ( who certainly doe
NOT like being out of his shelter environment , would be most welcomed
too!!

Shelter Mom is due in the state capitol today for another animal senate
hearing-- she will be stopping in to the vets to see how Dargo is faring
before her return home.  We sure do appreciate your support & good
thought!

Thanks to the ladies who have donated copies of "Ferrets 4 Dummies"-
we now have 2 copies to donate to the library program!  Yahoo!

Take care to you all,
Jerimiah
mascot, Ferret Wise Shelter
www.ferretwise.org, a non profit organization.
Donations are tax deductible to the extent of the law - and always
welcomed for continued care of shelter ferrets and educational outreach
programs