Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:52:32 -0400
From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
I was just wondering what other owners feed their ferrets with this
problem.  Does anyone feed a soup with the bones?  What other ways are
there to add calcuim to the diet?  Does anyone add taurine?

If anyone has a ferret with IBD, my girl and I could really benefit from
the experience and advice of others.
Thanks, Inge

My 2 yo male Felix was diagnosed with IBD the end of January.  No
biopsies were done.

I've actually been feeding him cooked chicken (w/o bones) since then.  He
takes pred as well.  He doesn't seem to be doing any better.  He has put
on weight, like you mentioned, but he refuses to eat anything but the
chicken.  I have not tried him on turkey to see if that's any better.  I
would ideally like to get him back on some kibble, since he's missing a
lot of nutrition in his diet just eating cooked chicken thighs.  I upped
his pred to 2x/day but that didn't seem to help.

My vet wanted to put him on Imuran originally and I fought it, because
it's so strong, and now I wonder if we shouldn't have done that to begin
with.  I know there is lots about this in the Ferret Health List archives
but honestly I don't have the time to search through them.  I'd also be
interested in any ideas from folks dealing with this.

Amy, Dave, Sarah & Paul (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian, Elektra, Claudia, Sidney, Max, Hannah & Fritz
Missing Tasha