Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 11:23:51 EDT
From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Meridith,
I was so incredibly touched by the generosity of you taking the time to
share your experience with ADV.  It will reach many people and if just
one person tests, or is extra careful with prevention ... that makes it
all worth it.  It was brave of you to come forward and tell your story.
You'd be surprised at how many people suffer this in secret to this day.

Your ferret's don't even have to come down with this disease to suffer
the tragedy of it all.  It doesn't matter if it all turns out okay in the
end.  The results are the same.  The mother/owner of the well known and
deceased Kouri (Wood) typed to me the words that I'll never forget the
day that she found out about his diagnosis.  "Wolfy, you could knock me
over with a feather right now ..."  Her words affected me greatly.  I
could envision this sweet, older funny lady with an absolutely white
face.  Her best friend.  With a terminal disease.  I could picture her
then turning and looking at all of her other beloved ferrets in the
room ... and her heart sinking to the pit of her stomach to know that
they all were exposed.  At that point, most people that are affected, are
stricken with a horrible fear.  Will they ever be able to let another
ferret friend in the door?  Have other friend's ferrets been exposed?
Will they ever be safe to own ferrets in the future?  Do they even want
to after this draining experience?  The paranoia of "the germs" described
is horrendous.  Even if all turns out well, the experience is scarring.

If your ferrets are positive, or worse, get the symptoms of the disease,
you can only imagine where it all goes from there.  I've seen friends
experience a whole range of reactions.  One went into complete denial.
To the point of being careless with prevention, and eventually
disconnecting from our community.  Another actually suffered a minor
nervous breakdown, ended up at a psychologist and suffered a terrible
relapse with her chronic depression.  She suffered great financial
problems in taking care of her babies until the very end.  She also ...
disconnected from our community and worse even her close friends.

I have nothing but admiration for those who are able to be open about
this with their friends.  Who are able to still reach out as you have to
others and as a result help all of us.  The people here who have gone
through what you have, and who are still here with enough strength to
extend a hand to reach out to others ... are incredible.  I encourage
you to reach back for their friendship and support.

Warmly,
Wolfy