Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 23:48:30 -0400
From:
Meredith Van Sickle <[log in to unmask]>
I decided that it would be wise to share our trials and worries with the
entire ferret community since it may help someone out there, or inform
someone who didn't know what could be happening...

We adopted Neelix and Aza from South Carolina.  Through our local message
board (FBOG Yahoo group, and they are fantastic people!) we learned of
a woman who was frantically trying to place her 2 ferrets in a shelter
because she was allergic to them.  My Fiance and I made the descison that
we would take these 2 in need.  We only had Sally and she seemed like a
sister and brother would be good for her.  And they were... We recieved
our 2 new ones with clean bills of health from the vets.  Neelix had a
slight limp which was diagnosed as a neurological disorder.  He was put
on some steriods and sent on his way.  His sister Aza had not problems at
all.  They were microchipped and joined Sally and formed an instant bond.
They were all 2 best friends.  Destinty obviously smiled on us.

About 2 weeks after we recieved them, Neelix began to have "Squirty Poo"
Nothing serious, he still ate, played, slept... EVERYONE vets included,
assured us that it was no big deal.  Things would soon right themselves.
They did not.  Remedies began to come in, some suggested pumpkin, malox,
pepto, kaeopectate... Nothing worked.  But he was still okay.  Still
eating, drinking, mobile.Weeks went on and squirty poo was hit or miss...
it became more frequent.

On Friday night *Less than one week ago.* I held him.  Something wasn't
right.  He was losing weight.  He seemed lethargic.  I mentioned we
needed to take him to the vet in the morning to my fiance.  It was
agreed.  Saturday came... I woke up and went to school.  By the time
Jason awoke, Neelix had a massive bout of diarreah.  He was laying in it.
Another accident quickly followed.  This squirty poo was BLACK.  a color
we'd never seen before.  Away he went to the emergency vet.This black
color was caused by blood.

I'll shorten this now...
He went in, was put on an IV, he was so dehydrated that drawing blood was
really kept to a minimum.  Glucose levels were at 16.  astoundingly low.
They got the glucose level back up with the drip and an hour.  Neelix
even ate on his own.  Then the black diarreah came back.  They ran his
levels at full.  We were advised that he was in renal failure, we needed
to put him down.  At 11:11 pm, we said goodbye and held him while he
went.

We were told then that ADV was suspected strongly.

We took Neelix's refridgerated body to the University of Georgia for
testing.  Obviously there is concern.  We have 2 other ferrets in our
home... Our results of the Necropsy came back.  More signs of ADV... We
are awaiting the blood results.  But with 5 vets all having the same
thoughts... Yes... we expect that we are now an ADV household.

We're crushed... This disease is crippling to our lives.  Our plans for
more fur kids, becoming a part of an interactive group... We can no
longer plan for these things.

If you don't know about ADV, please learn.  Please contribute to the
AFA's research fund.  This disease is so contagious... Please protect
your fur kids... We didn't and now our ferret baby sally, who was the
first in our home, could be at risk because of our ignorance.  More than
likely, she is already infected.  Aza, Neelix's lifelong cagemate lost
her brother and best friend.... Please be careful when you take your
furkids out with ferrets you don't know.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.  I hope it reaches
someone out there... I hope it makes a difference.

Sincerely,
Meredith Van Sickle