Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 01:02:03 -0400
He travels around the world as a consultant to numerous zoos and other
animal facilities.  He serves as a mentor to residents from around the
world.  And, currently he is in Spain visiting one of the many who have
benefited from his knowledge and generosity.  While zoopathologist Mike
Garner appears to be a man of few words, those who know him say
otherwise.

The son of a veterinarian who fought at Normandy, Dr. Garner is
incredibly family oriented has 2 daughters and a wife.  His greatest
love after that has to be music.  This multifaceted man is an incredibly
accomplished guitar player.  He also plays piano, bass, mountain
dulcimer, harp, harmonica, Native American wood flute and maybe a thing
or two I'm forgetting.  He's an amazing singer/songwriter.

Although not a ferret owner, Dr. Garner says ferrets are a large part of
his practice.  Just how did he get to this point?  Dr. Garner obtained
his DVM degree from Washington State University in 1987.  He practiced
four years in a companion/exotic animal clinic prior to entering a
pathology residency at the University of Florida.  After becoming
board-certified, Dr. Garner founded Northwest ZooPath in 1994.

Dr. Garner has authored or co-authored several articles on the pathology
and medicine of non-domestic species and is a member of numerous
veterinary organizations.  He is also an adjunct associate professor
of pathology in the College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State
University.  He also did an internship at the Armed Forces Institute
of Pathology in Washington, D.C., home to another of our favorite
pathologists×, Bruce Williams.  Coincidence?

The rain in Washington might be what keeps most people indoors.  He plays
soccer in an indoor soccer league.  Dr. Garner also likes to venture into
the great outdoors.  He loves working outside in the yard and he loves
baseball

Those who know him are also incredibly loyal.  When asked for a funny
story or two, a friend replied, "You know, initially I thought, oh, yeah
I definitely got s ome dirt on Mike... but the truth is, while Mike is an
incredibly funny guy... most of the funny stories I have about him would
probably be inappropriate to share."

Want to know more?  Why not ask him who his favorite baseball player is
to start a conversation with this funny guy?  And, just maybe, you will
get your own dirt on Dr. Mike Garner.  I know that I am certainly going
to try!

To learn more about Dr. Garner and his practice at Northwest ZooPath,
visit their website at http://www.zoopath.com.  You can email him at
[log in to unmask]  While Dr. Garner is pleased to examine specimens, he
states that all questions regarding the health of your ferrets should
be directed to your local veterinarian.