Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:14:04 -0400
I have not posted in a while with any comments on helping shelters in
need but seeing the many posts looking for help with vet bills from a
PA shelter by the shelter and friends of the shelter I have to respond
on this.

As most of you people on the FML list know I do fundraising and post to
the FML with e-Bay listings and other auction listings to help shelters
needing funds.  Also with the help of many others we had a very large
fundraising effort called Help Jean that was very successful.

Now to my point of posting this.

The PA shelter that has posted looking for help has done this a number
of times on the FML and other groups and people have helped, but now for
the fourth time I believe their vet bills are large and the vets want
cash, four times, four different vets shutting them off, there has to be
something wrong with what they are doing or the way the shelter is run.

I know the shelter owner is also a breeder of ferrets and dogs also.  She
always states that everything is kept separate breeding and sheltering
and that her breeding is done at a minimum.

She sells on e-bay and also sells from her website, she also sets up and
sells at ferret shows and always has one of the largest displays, five
tables at the last York show.  She is an agent for Martin Cages and
also has ties with The Ferret Store.  To do all of this costs money.
Inventory costs money.  Transportation of all of the items to shows and
the large display setup costs money.

So my question is where does the money come from to do all of this, and
where do the profits go??

Are you spending money on supplies, inventory, displays, transportation,
etc. instead of paying your vets ???

To me as many times as you have come asking for help there is something
wrong in the operation of your many ventures and your priorites are not
in order for your Shelter operation.

There are many shelters that are operating in the red and needing help
that do not have the resources that you have for funding your shelter.
Also looking at your e-Bay ids and transactions buying and selling
I would also say that you have an e-Bay addiction, buying to supply
your inventory for your online store and shows on e-Bay and adding on
a small % for profit does not even get you back the shipping costs
involved to do this.

I have supported you in the past by buying from you as I do with many
shelters, but I think it is time for you to step back and think about
your operation and make some changes.  It is not the Ferret Community's
place to help fund your entire operation.  I do not mind helping a
shelter in need but to come back time and time again with the same
problem there has to be something wrong.

I know that I will be slammed by some for this post but it has to be
said and I have broad shoulders and can handle it.  Also it is not
posted ANON I sign my name.

Harold Pike

This is my opinion and I am not speaking for any others in doing this
post.