Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:59:41 +0800
hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your reply.

The ECE link was interesting, but didn't provide any information about
the intake needs of healthy ferrets.  I'm with you 100% that an ill
ferret should have access to familiar food and be switched slowly.

I've personally switched around 30 ferrets to a natural diet, and all
of them accepted the new food within the 24 hours.  There is never NO
food available, just something they aren't familiar with.  Of course
there will always be ferrets who are more imprinted on certain foods,
and they won't accept a new food even if hungry.

The reason I asked for more details about the effects of not eating
after certain periods is because I want to know specifics.  So far,
nobody has any detailed information.  I'm not interested in vague
statements about it being 'mean' or causing 'starvation' or 'organ
failure' with no supporting evidence, because I don't believe any of
these to be true.

I do understand that tough love is usually harder on the parent than
the ferret (hence the emotional responses), but I have yet to see
evidence that a healthy ferret is harmed by this.

Is this period without eating HARMFUL? If I do find any specific
information informing this, I will stop using & suggesting this
method to switch.

I understand that I am not providing supporting evidence to show that 24
hours without food ISN'T harmful, but that's because I can't find any
information either way.  All I have is anecdotal evidence, and a few
titbits of info suggesting that polecats go without food every now and
then, but I invite anyone to set me straight.

Using up stored body fat does not equal starvation, that's what the
fat is for.  That is, if fat is even used after only 24 hours.  And I
do think most ferrets have at least some to spare, seeing as most are
provided with constant food and not enough exercise.

Some humans could probably do with using up some of their stored body
fat, judging by the current obesity rates :)

shona