From:
Krystal Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:17:41 EDT
Okay, please don't bash me as I am only asking questions because I would
like to be better educated.

I have only used Kibble since i have owned ferrets, I use EVO in a mix of
foods for my ferrets.  I have heard of long lived ferrets on kibble, but
not yet of any on the "Raw Diet".  If anyone has information on how long
ones on a raw diet have lived and if they have documentation of this so
that I may compare.

Also the other thing, is that I have talked to many, many breeders who
have gotten imports from countries where the raw diet is commonplace and
it seems those ferrets are a bit more aggressive.  Is this because of the
the full meat diet?  I often wonder because seems to me that ferrets from
England and Australia seem a little more aggressive but not always in a
bad way.  I have yet to hear of a full blooded English or Aussie breeder
hob not meeting his mark.

Last thing, I also wonder if feeding raw the health concerns for ferrets.
Like what if the food spoils which I would believe would be commonplace
as I have some that occasionally get baby food as a treat and sometimes I
have to throw it out because it went bad or was being to turn.  Also is
the raw meat sterlized?  Can ferrets get any illnesses humans can from
raw meat?  What is the shelf life once given to the ferrets for the raw
meat?  Also what about feeding them a whole rodent, aren't bones a
problem?  I tried the chicken gravy and after cooking until it was
basically mush, i blended it down and still one of my ferrets found a
bone and choked.  She's okay but still isn't there a concern of this.

Also as a side note, some breeders I have read on different posts said
they don't use the use of a V-Hob or Hormone Shots for their Jills.  How
do you prevent anemia or other problems?  What are the life spans of
those breeders who keep their females whole all their life?  I understand
and I believe it was in Dr. Lewington's book that after so long, females
will stop cycling in, but what do you do before that?  Are they always
breed?  What if a female comes into season three times during the year,
are they breed three times?  I have had issues even with a v-hob and
girls not coming out of season.  I have had to revert to hormone shots
which seem only to delay the cycle for another 2 weeks - 90 days and then
in again they come.  I have heard not to use more than 2 hormone shots in
a year.  I have only ever used the hormone shot three times but not in
the same girl.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am interested to learn and better
educate myself.  As a little breeder with half dozen breeders, I am
always interested to learn more.