Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:28:26 -0500
Words can be a very inexact way of communication.  Yes, dictionaries try
to put definitions to words, but in the end, we all use words to mean
slightly different things.  Our individual experiences, and out
environment all affect how we individually view the meaning of a given
word or words.

As a result, what one person views as a polite disagreement, another
might see as an argument.

For me, unless a discussion on the FML dissolves into personal attacks,
I tend to view things as a disagreement.  But, I also realize that
others might feel a much stronger description is necessary.

I would hate to see an FML where we all agreed on every issue.  Why?
Because is we all agreed, there would be no room to learn.  Discussion,
and disagreement, are a necessary part of the learning process in an
environment like the FML

I would agree that some people do get a little harsh, and sometimes try
to cram their opinions down the throats of the masses.  That is something
we should all try to avoid.  Respect for each other is very important.
We are all individuals, and we all have a right to hold our own opinions
on any given subject.

What I like to see are discussions where people state their opinions on
a subject, provide any back up reference materials they have to support
their position, and then explain why they hold that opinion.  If
information is provided in this manner, it allows everyone to see the
evidence, and make up their own mind on the subject.  But, if someone
tries to tell people what to think on an issue, then things can go very
wrong.

I imagine in our zeal to share information we all have from time to time
presented something in the wrong way.  I am sure I have been guilty, and
I apologize for the times that I have.

None of us are really experts on ferrets.  Some of us have more
experience then others, but we are all just people who love ferrets and
are trying to give them the best lives possible.  And, if we remember
that, we should be able to have discussions that may get heated, but
don't turn nasty.  We all have experiences that shape our opinions, and
that is what we are sharing.

Even veterinary experts sometimes will disagree on the best way to treat
a condition, or even the cause of a problem.  Medicine is not as exact a
science as we like to think.  And, from time to time, even scientifically
done studies will reach differing conclusions.

It is important that we all try to keep an open mind.  If we approach a
subject with a closed mind, there is no chance for learning.  But, if we
keep our minds open, well who knows what we might learn from each other.

Discussion that stems from opposing views can be very good, as long as
the people participating all remember to respect each other, and to
present their side as their opinions.  We all need to remember that we
can agree to disagree.

--
Danee DeVore
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator