From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 05:30:13 -0500
>Whose ferrets have their own ferret dolls and what do they do with
>them?

How funny that this is posted today.  Just yesterday morning one of the
foster kids did an odd ferret toy thing herself.  My Sly guy pass two
weeks ago Thursday and as a memorial I put a picture of him on the open
door of his empty cage and a Runner the Ferret beanie next to it.  Well,
I heard this muffled crash from the ferret room and went to check, only
to find the picture frame on the floor and the toy missing.  I heard
crunching sounds coming from inside the covered cage so I peeked in to
discover that foster ferret Scooter had pulled the beanie baby into the
cage and was in there with it, eating... She had it standing up on the
bottom of the cage next to her at the food bowl.  I was laughing and
crying all at the same time.

I have a hypothesis that has been mulling around in my head about the
FSH/LH levels in pre-adrenal ferrets.  Would any of the early pregnancy
tests on the market be a way to test for the elevated hormone levels in
our ferrets as a possible determining of the condition?  I can see me
now, running around on the floor on all fours chasing a ferret with one
of the "pee-on" strips in my hand, going... "no no no, not on the floor,
pee on this little thingy!" LOL!  Just a thought I have been postulating
since the symposium last year but was too shy to ask any of the
Veterinarians at the conference.

On the subject of natural vs artificial light effects on melatonin
production: I have a blue light bulb in the ceiling fixture in the ferret
room and the thought behind that "smart" move was the light spectrum from
a blue light would simulate the longer winter season.  I use it when I
need to do things in the ferret room after the natural sun light has gone
on it's merry way.  Would that have any effect on melatonin levels?  Or
is there a different color spectrum that would be better suited?  Should
the color be change with the seasonal shifts?  The cages are covered at
sunset and partially uncovered at sunrise, while still leaving nice dark
spots for them to curl up and sleep away the day.

Take a moment from your busy day, sit on the floor with your fur kids
and love on 'em... we are blessed with them for such a short time.

Debbie

"Ferrets Are Fuzzy Prozac!"