From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:53:41 -0500
Low blood glucose in a ferret can be cause by other pancreatic tumors but
usually by insulinoma.  The beta cell tumors can be too small to show up
on imaging and some need to removed using magnification and carefully
feeling for sand-like grains to pop out.  Partial pancreatomies also tend
to work very well, especially if a vet surgeon doesn't have unusually
sensitive fingers.

If too many major organ health indicators are off in a CBC with Chemistry
Panel that increases the chance that either lymphoma or carcinoma may be
present.  In our two who each had one of those the signs of illness were
acute: both convulsed, passed out, and almost died.  One needed gentle
cheek puff AR once on the way to emergency care (lympho), and the other
needed it multiple times and also needed her body temp brought up before
we even left home (carcinoma).  These also are treated with Prednisolone.

The test results can be thrown off if the blood sat too long before being
checked.

Hunger, of course can do it, and I am sure there are other causes which
will be mentioned by others.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan