From:
Michelle Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:21:50 -0500
Hello all!

I guess I need to introduce myself a little more, so you can gauge my
level of competence on this issue.  I am on the board of directors for
MD Ferret PAWS.  For the last few years we have tried go get the "Ferret
Protection Act" passed in Maryland.  From the word go we have had a hand
in drafting, supporting, gathering evidence, and testifying in committee
about this bill.  The current draft of the bill HB1292, sponsored by
Del. McComas, has been assigned to the Judiciary committee.  Go to
MDFerretpaws.org to get a synopsis of last year's bill (this year's
version is similar), the official legal language is a bit hard to get
around.

Now to the "meat" of this post, in particular a response to Kim Fox.
HB1292, The Ferret Protection Act is the *only* bill that pertains to
ferrets in the Maryland legislature.  I can not stress this enough.
Kim said
>I am aware of HB 1292...the ferret protection bill...this is something
>different.  It is not a rumor, but was a topic on a talking heads show
>on WBAL earlier in the week.

Yes, it was a topic on Chip Franklin's show on WBAL radio (1090AM).
This link
http://wbal.com/shows/franklin/story.asp?articleid=40808
See topic "More Fun in Annapolis..." provides a link to what he was
talking about.  It happens to be HB1292, The Ferret Protection Act".
Like I said yesterday, he got it wrong.

Kim also said
>I received more information last night on what is being called the
>"anti ferret bill" It is not yet a bill but IS a topic in committee,...
>the first step prior to becoming a bill.

This is incorrect.  Formal discussion in committee does not work this
way.  A delegate sends his bill to the dept of legislative services.
They write it.  The delegate then submits it to the Chief Clerk of the
House.  The bill is assigned a number, read in the chamber and assigned
to committee for discussion.  (The other part of the legislature has a
similar process with different names - but this is enough of a civics
lesson, no?).  I do note that the delegates could be having informal
discussions amongst themselves, but highly unlikely considering they have
hundreds of bills to formally go over in the space of 90 days.  I just
don't see this issue being a priority.  On top of this is the fact that
in Maryland ferrets are *LEGALLY* considered to be a DOMESTIC, COMPANION
animal.  What's next?  Dogs?  Kim also said and "You can also check out
the House of Delegates website for updates on topics in committee by
clicking on resolutions." This will give you a bill#, which everything
under discussion has, which Kim's bill, per her quote above, does not.
I'm not trying to flame Kim here.  I understand her feelings, and I know
that my reaction would be similar if I believed what she does.  However,
The heresy surrounding this topic, and the rumor, and the "my friend"
are truly jeopardizing the chances for HB1292, and that a shame for all
of us.

Thanks,
Michelle Butler
MDFerretPAWS.org