From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 06:13:44 -0500
These are my opinions on these subjects.

First let me say that there is nothing wrong with the Avecon saliva
tests.  I feel that they are more accurate than the United tests that
everyone has been doing.  Why you may ask?  Because when I had called a
few years ago and inquired why a test could come up inconclusive they
explained that many things could throw the test off.  This means that if
your ferret has a cold or the flu it could throw a false positive.  If
your ferret has cancer or had it's distemper or rabies vaccines done to
close to the time of sample taking it could throw a false positive.  If
there is something on the ferrets foot when a sample is taken it could
throw a fale positive.  To me Avecon is more thorough and more accurate,
besides isn't it better to use the company WHO DEVELOPED the ADV test
rather than a copycat company?

Second, I was told that after January 25th that not only is United NOT
doing ADV testing anymore, but they will no longer be manufacturing
Fervac D or Purevax.  Both these vaccines are known for their higher
percentage rate of reactions, where as Galaxy D has little to no
reactions when given to a ferret for vaccination against canine
distemper.  Besides I would rather use the same vaccine as Dr. Bruce
Williams who is a well renowned and well respected ferret vet.  If
Galaxy D is what he uses on his ferret paceints than that's good enough
for me.

Galaxy D has been around a lot longer & has been used on many more
ferrets than the other two vaccines combined, so I feel it has proven
it's worth in guarding our ferret against contracting the canine
distemper virus.

I will continue to use Avecon to test my ferrets for ADV as I have always
felt it was more acurate, and will continue to use Galaxy D (the only
vaccine I trust) to vaccinate my ferrets against the canine distemper
virus.

This is how I feel and is my opinion on this subject.  Flame if you
must, but this is my right to freedom of speech!

[DV]