From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:17:26 -0500
Wes brings up a good point.  Heavy metals can cause kidney problems
according to multiple reputable websites.  (Hmm, I wonder if the uptake
and then content of non-iron metals has been looked at in grapes and
raisins since it is still unknown why they cause kidney damage in
ferrets and dogs.)

Yes, it pays to test your water and use bottled water for now, especially
if you are on a well.

Consider also other possible sources of heavy metals: old paint, soil in
some areas, etc.

It may pay to contact the ASPCA Poisoning center.  The cost is by case so
you can talk to them multiple times about the same thing.

Angell Memorial has one, too, but I do not know if multiple calls can be
made about the same case.

ASPCA Poison Control Center (info from the website):
> 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Make the call that can make all
> the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $50 consultation fee may be
> applied to your credit card.
> Angell Memorial (from a past post):
> 1-877-2ANGELL (1-877-226-4355)

I DO know that there have been multiple times when a risk factor to
humans has been found because it affected ferrets first.  Offhand, I
recall a leaking gas stove, and an apartment with a hidden hole through
a closet wall to a garage.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan