Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:49:38 +1100
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>...Remember there is also a big difference in husbandry here in the US
>(neonatal spay and neuter, kept indoors with artificial lighting for
>12+ hours a day, and fed a dry kibble with a high carbohydrate level)
>to England and Australia (not spayed or neutered till an adult, kept
>outdoors in natural light, and fed a whole prey diet with a very low
>carbohydrate level).  We know adrenal glands have LH receptors, and
>early spay neuter and long day photoperiods (ie American ferrets) raise
>the LH level.  This stimulates the adrenal glands to produce the sex
>hormones and androgens and eventually this over stimulation of the
>adrenal gland disease causes adrenal gland disease.
>
>Likewise high carbohydrate diets (ie American ferrets) stimulate the
>pancreas to produce insulin.  This over stimulation of the pancreas can
>cause insulinomas to form.

I had wondered about that for a while, actually, given how healthy all
the ferrets I've known here (in Australia) have been.  I don't know if
it's at all relevant, but to my understanding de-scenting is also another
area in which ferrets are treated differently here - it's just not done
(I think it's illegal, but don't quote me on that).

In any case, I'll be keeping an eye out for the results of this
research. Thanks for mentioning ^^

Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
http://hypercrescendo.net/foxlee/fls/
http://www.furbiddenrealms.com
http://blurty.com/users/leechimera/

"...Whatever." - Squall Leonhart, FFVIII