From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:44:14 -0500
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16326039&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum>

Notice the importance of the Brushtail Possum as a bTB vector related
to prevalence in wild NZ polecats or ferrets:

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16032192&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum>

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16032148&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum>

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed
&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16032133&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum>

<http://vetgate.ac.uk/browse/cabi/0747da35bcf252d51de6cff0307b0ba1.html>

<http://www.katewerk.com/tb.html>
including (in dogs):
>The primary symptoms of disseminated mycobacterium avium infection
>are enlarged lymph nodes, tonsillary inflammation, and inappetence/
>anorexia.  Generally the submandibular and cervical nodes are
>affected, as well as the mesenteric nodes, but they are not as easily
>palpable.  Other symptoms not occurring among all cases are: fever,
>vomiting, bloody stool, breathing difficulty due to compression of
>lungs by enlarged nodes, and lameness.
>
>Necropy demostrates that infection does not occur in lung tissue.
>Infection disseminates throughout other tissues, including spleen,
>liver, and bone marrow.  Common lab findings are a low-grade
>nonregenerative anemia and elevated WBC, other lab findings are
>inconsistent among known cases until the disease has progressed
>significantly.  Ingestion seems to be considered the primary route
>of infection.

<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=339272>

<http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases/0,1607,7-186-25804_25812---,00.html>
including:
>Dogs, cats and horses can be infected with bovine TB, but the risk is
>very low.  Actually, dogs and cats are more likely to be infected by
>Mycobacterium tuberculosis, or human TB, through exposure to their
>human family members who have the disease; or by Mycobacterium avium,
>or avian (bird) TB, from eating infected birds.  These forms of TB are
>caused by different species of bacteria, but the symptoms and effects
>of the diseases are similar.

Compared to many other domestic companions ferrets have a low number of
zoonotic diseases; it's just that this particular one poses great risks,
and not only to the infected individuals, when bTB or human TB is caught.
(The most commonly encountered zoonotic in ferrets is probably influenza,
which can itself be risky at times.  BTW, that is also true for domestic
pigs/hogs, some pet birds, and some others.) Notice that a large number
of other domestic and wild animals get a range of TB types, including bTB
and aTB, so it is not like ferrets have any unusual risk in that regard.
One of the saddest descriptions I have read of intestinal aTB was in a
show dog who had been fed raw poultry, but i could not find that page
offhand today.  In the past I also ran into a heartwrenching description
in a cat.

There are more in Pubmed and elsewhere, and am sure that people here
will find themselves able to search for further things.

The problem -- at least to me -- is largely on the doorstep of NZ biology
officials and those who fund (underfund?) them.  Not spotting how much
bTB they had was very similar to the years when they said they did not
have ADV, yet they did and they even exported it.  This is on top of
too much work which avoids looking at far more serious wildlife problem
species, such as introduced rats because they are so much more prevalent
and harder to control.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan