From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:13:52 -0800
I remember reading recently (in the past few months) that "someone" was
inquiring about a facial/cosmetic product that contained MINK OIL??  (I
did an FML archive search but came up with nothing).

Well, I'm curious to know if the 'product' or manufacturer in question
was "Touch of Mink" made/sold by Dermac Labs?

I went to this company's website to see what the ingredients were in the
products they are selling but NOWHERE on the entire site does it reveal
this.  (http://www.touchofmink.com/default.asp)

I don't want to jump to conclusions and think that mink are being harmed
in order to get this "mink oil" base product but after reading some info.
from a 'mink oil' website, I'm concerned because it said:

This fatty layer is recovered after the pelt is removed from the
carcass and is then rendered down to make mink oil" (would the mink
be intentionally killed just for the fatty layer or might this be a
secondary part of the mink taken when they're killed for their pelts?
Either way it's BAD NEWS!)

THE PURPOSE for me asking is b/c I see this "Touch of Mink" product is
being sold at a "Touch of Mink" booth at a pet expo coming up later this
year and I guess that just seems VERY ODD to me.  I'm OK with selling
products that HELP pets (shampoos, vitamins, etc.) but allowing the sale
of products at a pet 'show' of sorts that are derived from intentionally
killing an animal (and one related to ferrets???) That just seems too off
base to me.  Too weird.  UNLESS there's no harm being done to the mink to
obtain the oil.

Anyone with thoughts on this??????  Am I just being over sensitive b/c
I own ferrets, which are closely connected to mink?  Entirely possible
but I'm certain I'd feel the same way if someone was selling something
made from cat hair at a pet expo where there were live cats around
everywhere ......

Jennifer and the dynamic duo

[Moderator's note: The post you were looking for isn't in the web
archives yet.  The site mentioned in the post (in FML 5121) was
http://www.mustela.com/index.htm        BIG]