From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:32:11 EST
Thank you for your concern.  At LOS, we do not encourage breeding for a
particular color or inbreeding or line breeding.  Our shows are geared
toward all pet ferrets whether they be breeder or pet store or rescue,
etc.  At our shows, we try to make sure that we are not leaving ferrets
out.  We were seeing more of this pattern and unfortunately they were
being classifed as mitt and they were not doing well.  In Specialty
rings, we judge them on color, confirmation, temperment and maintenance,
so if someone had a Tuxedo and it was well cared for but did not match
the color pattern, then the ferret may not place.  So we are expanding
our colors, so that more colors are judged properly on their color so as
to level the rings.  At our shows, no ferret is disqualified for being
in the wrong color class, however, we do on a rare occassion see unique
color patterns, that may not fit the standard ring, but our judges try
to compensate for that.  We do not encourage people to breed for these
colors, ferrets should be breed for health and longevity, however, since
most of these ferrets who are tuxedoes are pet store ferrets, it would
not be fair to not allow them to show their ferrets.  As our moto states,
"Legion of Superferrets, where every ferret is super!"   LOS does
encourage good care and keeping of all ferrets no matter the color.