From:
ferretlove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:23:02 -0800

>From:    Jill Perry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Deaf Ferrets
>
>Hi I know I haven't written in a while but I have a question.  How do
>you tell if ferrets are deaf because i think that my Duke is....
>
>p.s.  If anyone has and tips on how to get Duke to eat treats ...

To tell if one is truly deaf take a coffee can with some change in it and
rattle it when the ferret is not looking in that direction.  Also do this
with out others to hear and come to the noise.  Some can be tone deaf and
only hear other noises like low pitches instead of the higher ones that a
squeaky toy would make.

For the treats like the bandit treats you can put a dab of ferretone on
it and then once they taste that just might like it.  I know with duck
soup I had to rub a little on the gums first before they would eat it.
I can tell you honestly that not all of my kids like treats.  Some do
and some don't.