From:
Cindy Michou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 01:24:39 -0900
First, you need to keep trying to catch Vinnie.  I know that this is
hard, but this is very important!!  The fact that Vinnie is on his own
and surviving so far, is what adds fuel to the opposition for legalizing
ferrets in California and other places.  Please take a moment to read
about Randy Belair's experience if you haven't already.  Go to
<http://www.ferretaid.org/> and click on "About Us" to read about a
ferret she tried to rescue.  I don't what to see Vinnie go that way
and I know you don't either.  Please keep at it.  Maybe some one at the
lumberyard will be able to catch.  Do they know to call you if that
happens?

Second, Leo, my fur babies actively hunt the shrews and voles that come
into the house in the winter.  I try to take their "prize" from them
before they can eat it and give them a lick of ferretone instead.  I
talked to my vet about this and she advised me to bring in stool samples
periodically for parasite testing.  So there is a risk that they can pick
up something nasty from eating mice and such.  Talk to your vet and see
how often they would want a sample.

Now would also be a good time to remind everyone to beware when setting
mouse traps.  Be sure to place them where your fur kids can't get to
them.  I DO NOT recommend using D-con or other poison even if you place
it out of the ferrets reach.  Sometimes the mouse is not killed out right
and may wander into the house and be killed by a fuzzie who then runs
to risk of being poisoned.  I've seen animals at the vets who have been
accidentally poisoned this way and it wasn't a pretty sight!  Survival
rate is next to nil due to internal bleeding.  So PLEASE be careful!!

Hugs and Dooks,
Cindy Michou and the gang at
Hiland Ferrets