From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:41:55 -0400
There are several ways that posts to APHIS/USDA will help get
improvements for ferrets

1. Some qualify as expert testimony foe their subset, such as when
shelters talk about the added burdens they encounter, vets talk about
the medical considerations, transportation and pet store people speak of
what they encounterd, and owners talk about the burdens placed upon them
due to current standards not protecting ferrets enough.

2. Some provide important data.  This helps inform the USDA that a
problem exists.

3. Some provide the needed sheer numbers which show that there is
public support for improved standards.  These are most effective when
they are signed.  It also helps for them to vary in content.  Now, not
everyone will want to sign.  In that case, please, do not send identical
posts.  When that happens the USDA has to consider that there may be one
person repeatedly sending in the same thing.

Right now we are at 142 letters in the edocket.  That's a nice starting
number, but not anywhere near as many as we should have.  What we really
need is to have the mum people who have been assuming that everyone else
can do the work to instead now take the time to please, please, please
write just one little letter.  This effort to save ferrets is in the
hands of the ferret community to win or to lose, and honestly, we need
a lot of you to speak up if we are going to end some of the most
frustrating and avoidable causes of ferret deaths nationally.

Ferrets are not "things", but if we are going to get decent standards
which express that reality we need people to love them enough to write
just one letter.  If people are shy about their writing then Alexandra
<[log in to unmask]> will be available in a few days to quietly help
with grammar and spelling.

You may submit comments via EDOCKET (see below) or by sending 4 copies
of your letter to:

Docket No. 04-088-1
Regulatory Analysis and Development, PPD, APHIS, Station 3C71
4700 River Road Unit 118
Riverdale, MD 20737-1238

You must include the Docket No. 04-088-1 on your letter!

Here is the edocket site:
<http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/EDKStaffCollectionDetailView?
objectId=0b0007d4809252bb>

You can find some important points to make in
http://www.ferretcongress.org/USDA/sampleletters.html
 and
http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/general/usdaletterpointers.pdf
and here is the USDA's letter to be signed and sent by by U.S. Post Office
http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/general/usdaformletter.pdf

Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan and regular user