From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:48:26 -0500
Dear Ferret Folks-

There is a saying, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Now, a lot of
you out there don't like Marshall Farms for a variety of reasons.  They
are your enemy.

Well, whether you know it or not, the manufacturers and retailers who
are putting dangerous things in our ferrets food that have the potential
to cause intestinal blockages like dried fruit chips, dehydrated
vegetables, nut chunks, and meat jerky of poor quality are our ENEMIES.

Lots of us know not to feed these things, but the new owner is
particularly vuenerable.  They see something on a shelf that says
it's for ferrets, so they assume its got to be safe for ferrets.
Unfortunately, no.  Many ferret treats, especially, are formulated
to look appealing to hoomins.  They have fruits, vegetables, nuts,
marshmallow hunks, yogurt and peanut butter coatings.  The dried
ingredients are indigestible by ferrets and are associated with
blockages.  The high sugar contents of others are suspected to play
a role in insulinoma for some ferrets.

I will give Marshall Farms this- they understand that ferrets are
obligate carnivores, meat eaters, and their staple kibble diets and
treats are meat based.  No fruit chips, none of that dangerous stuff.

Marshalls is also in an unusual position-they have the opportunity to
educate the new ferret owner from day one about what is, and is not
appropriate to feed a ferret.  (We've all heard nightmare stories of
ferrets fed hamster chow, rabbit pellets, etc.)

Now.  Can we use them to our advantage?  I think so.  Here is what
Jacquie Rogers, the lady with whom the International Ferret Congres
s is working to improve the ferret foods sold on pet store shelves was
thinking.  I'll let her words speak for themselves.  Please hear her
out.  Her plan does not increase Marshall's sales at all.

Alexandra in MA
IFC Communications Coordinator

SUGGESTED EMAIL TO MARSHALL FARMS - just in case you aren't comfortable
writing your own; feel free to use this one, cut and paste whatever parts
you wish, IOW use it in any way you want to, or write your own if you are
comfortable doing that - just get an email out to them.  If YOU don't
have time, please take just a minute to forward it to ferret lovers in
your address book.  Thanks so much!

EMAIL ADDY: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

We are currently participating in an effort to get ferret foods and
treats that contain dehydrated fruit, vegetables, nuts and jerky type
treats removed from the market in order to save the lives of innocent
ferrets whose owners buy this stuff thinking they are giving them a
treat, when in actuality they are giving them something is not only
high in sugar, but very very likely to cause an intestinal obstruction.
2006 is the year that well informed ferret owners are going to make
manufacturers responsible for the dangerous foods and treats they are
putting on the market for our ferrets.

I notice that Marshall Farms carries ONLY healthy foods AND treats on
your website, and for that I want to recognize and thank you!  We believe
that the majority of ferrets sold in this country are Marshall Farms
ferrets and the majority of them, unfortunately, are going to homes who
haven't done their homework and don't know the dangers of intestinal
blockages from products containing dehydrated fruits, vegetables, nuts
and jerky type meat treats.  The same customer who would likely be
purchasing these items are the ones who probably wouldn't recognize
symptoms of an intestinal blockage.

The question I have is - would you consider putting a very visible
"WARNING" in the paperwork that goes out with every Marshall's ferret
that is adopted, warning of the dangers of intestinal blockage from
dehydrated fruit, vegetable, nuts and dehydrated jerky type meat
products?  It would be so helpful for the ferrets if your information
could advise the new owners that their new little pet is an "obligate
carnivore" and let them know that ferrets don't even have a cecum, which
is necessary to digest plant materials of any kind.  I would be happy to
suggest a veterinary nutritionist who could work with you to write and
endorse the additional information, if that would be helpful, or I would
be happy to write one for you.  You could reach a HUGE group of new
ferret owners and save many many lives if you would add this information
to your handouts and 'basic ferret care' information that goes out with
each ferret.

In the meantime, we will continue to rally the troops of knowledgeable
ferret owners who are writing and calling companies like Kaytee and
8 in 1, FM Browns in an attempt to get these items recalled and
reformulated or discontinued.  You are sitting in a position to reach
many NEW FERRET OWNERS who may otherwise never get the message.

Our efforts have recently caused the two largest online ferret suppliers,
The Ferret Store and Ferret Depot to remove or mark as 'non-healthy'
these items from their inventory and post notices of the dangers.  But
not everyone shops online for their ferret needs.  It would certainly be
appreciated if you would consider doing the same, both on your website
(which, by the way is excellent in its food and healthy treat offerings
and recommendations) and in the kit adoption paper handouts, which will
reach that population that isn't connected to the internet for
information.

I want to assure you that we will not go away - we will keep writing and
exposing these offending companies until they withdraw and/or reformulate
the dangerous foods and treats.  I believe Marshall Farms could really
carry some weight if they would stand with us and join in the effort.  I
look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Thanks so much!
jacquie rodgers