From:
Leanne O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:46:46 -0500
Hi All:
I recently posted regarding a visit I had made to the Petco store in
Plymouth, MA.  I went in the afternoon and found that the ferrets had
no food, only water.  I asked an employee and was told they "feed the
ferrets twice a day" only.  Thank you to all who responded to my post
(some were employees of Petco stores in other areas).I was told by the
Petco employees, and other non-employees, that Petco's policy is to
provide food and water at all times.  I have also heard from the Mass
Ferret Friends president, Phyllis , who is having an adoption day at
that store later this month.  She went to this store after reading my
FML post to check on the babies, and the food situation.  She spoke to
the manager, and with her permission to post, this is what she found out
and her email to me:

Leanne,

On my way home from work on Friday night, I stopped by the new Plymouth
PetCo just as they were closing.  I was lucky enough to catch the Manager
of the Day and the Small Animal Department Head as they were taking in
shopping carts.  I explained to the manager who I was and the
circumstances for my "visit".  I also added that MaFF is not trying to be
the "Ferret Police", but I just wanted to check on the information given
to the customer (Leanne) about the feeding schedule for the baby ferrets.
Both the store manager and the girl in charge of the ferrets (who, by the
way, has two rescued ferrets of her own), both explained that PetCo's
policy requires that the manager and department head conduct a tour of
the store every hour to check on all the animals as well as to make sure
that all the animals have adequate food and water, etc..  This manager
told me that she had just finished an 8-hour shift and did at least 6
tours of the store that evening.  The department manager also confirmed
this.  They said the babies are offered a softed food as well as a dry
kibble, which they almost always spill out the dish shortly after it is
given to them and that there is food in their enclosure at all times.

They were both very knowledgeable on the nutritional needs of the baby
ferrets and seemed very devoted to all the pets in their care.  The
manager, in response to the information given to the customer (Leanne),
felt that the customer might have been speaking with a cashier or someone
not "up to speed" on PetCo's policy.  She felt very badly that bad
information relating to the care of the ferrets was given out to a very
concerned customer.

I ended our conversation by saying that we will be holding an
Education/Adoption Day at this store on 1/22/06 and if any of the store
personnel wish to speak with us or ask any questions regarding the care
of the baby ferrets, we would be happy to spend some time with them and
leave literature for their reference.

I must say that I felt quite confident that this particular PetCo is not
a problem and that the staff seem to be qualified and caring people.  I
personally don't see a problem at this store and hope to have a good
long-term relationship with them and the staff.

Phyllis