From:
Patty Asheuer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:41:31 -0400
>I'm confused.  Isn't the purpose of a ferret shelter to help with
>unwanted ferrets - and yet she's breeding more to contribute to the
>problem?  I've never heard of a SHELTER that breeds.  And breeding dogs
>as well when there's packed shelters full of dogs waiting for a home?
>And she thinks that taking in ferrets offsets the breeding of dogs and
>more ferrets?  Actually they cancel each other out - so in a sense,
>you're doing nothing.

Actually Laura, I've known breeders, private breeders and shelter's
that do some breeding for over 15 years.  And ALL of them EDUCATE THE
PURCHASER BEFORE THEY TAKE A FERRET, ASK FOR REFERENCES INCLUDING VET,
ASK FOR APPLICATIONS TO BE FILLED OUT, PUT THEM ON A POSSIBLE WAITING
LIST and REQUIRE THE FERRET TO COME BACK TO THEM IF IT CAN NO LONGER BE
KEPT, which is in the contract and enforced.  They even have, at times,
have the potential purchaser come out to them to meet them before one of
their ferrets even leaves with them.  And I've seen some do a home visit
to see where the ferret will be going.  They will say NO to someone if
they are not comfortable with the person/application or feel that the
ferret is not going to a good home.  Unwanted ferrets do not come from
breeder's, they usually come from pet stores/shops that don't educate
the consumer and look at the all mighty $$ sign.  Those who breed do not
just let ferrets go to anyone and I've never known a person that breeds
to not take one of their own ferrets back, including the shelters that
do some breeding.  So they are not contributing to the problem.

And being in the ferret community for over 15 years and had been a
volunteer at a shelter/rescue, I can tell you Marguerite isn't the only
shelter that does some breeding.  There are many, many, many of them
out there that do it and do it the same way.