From:
David & Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:53:53 -0500
I'd like to briefly remark on a couple of recent posts... I'm not
actually reading everyday so these may go back a coupla days.

Bloody poops... literally panic poops.  A highly stressed ferret can have
a panic poop..  they actually shed a portion of intestinal lining that
makes the poop look bloody or bloody mucous.  Even the stress of having
been stuck in something, like the weave of a laundry basket, or a stuck
head under a door with a bottom edge more than an inch off the floor.
If they were frightened enough, a bloody poop can occur.  Bloody poops
can also result from something ingested... bugs.... or bug killer
chemical residue.  It cannot be said loud enough... eating bugs can kill
ferrets.  Even if you don't use bug sprays, your neighbors probably do...
and bugs are real neighborly critters.  A bug that got into a neighbor's
bug spray to which it has developed immunity, may have enough of the
chemical on it's body by the time it gets to your house to make your
ferret extremely ill.

Bloody poops can also result from anaphylactic shock from vaccinations.
This type of vaccination usually occurs within an hour of vaccination.

Bloody poop is simply a symptom of extreme system trauma and should be
followed up with an immediate vet visit.

We use the Purevax distemper vaccination from Merial exclusively.  We
also give Benedryl for 5 days prior to vaccination, even though reactions
to Purevax have been no where near as common as reactions to Fervac-D.
Make sure your vet uses Purevax.  If he doesn't have it, ask him to order
it.  Don't settle for anything less, your ferret's life could very well
depend on it.  Vaccination reactions are NOT "hoop-la" or someone's idea
of drama.  They can be very deadly, very quickly.

You can check with your vet on appropriate dosage for Benedryl for your
ferret.  We give 0.5cc to ferrets under 2 pounds, 0.75cc for ferrets
between 2 pounds and 4 pounds, and 1.0cc for ferrets over 4 pounds.  Even
if your vet smirks and says it's not necessary, give the Benedryl anyway.
It will not hurt your ferret and could prevent serious problems.

If you're thinking "My ferret did ok and had no problems with the
vaccination last year, so he should have no problem this year" YOU ARE
WRONG.  Each vaccination statistically INCREASES the chance of an
adverse reaction to the next vaccination.

Reactions to Imrab-3 for rabies are much less common, but they do occur,
and can be just as deadly.

Most serious reactions occur within 45 minutes of the vaccination.  You
should always hang around the vet's office for an hour after vaccination.
And carry a bottle of Benedryl to the vet with you on vaccination day.
If a reaction begins after you've left the vet, immediately give a
double-dose of Benedryl.  The sooner the reaction is treated, the less
likely it is to become severe.

ALWAYS pre-treat.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home