Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:17:52 -0400
I have been reading alot of the things going on this week on the FML.  I
try to listen to all that is being said and try to keep my feelings in
tact here and not say too much as I am usually a "lurker".  All I can
say is that it has been so rewarding to me and my family to have adopted
ferrets.  Ok they were not cute cuddly little kits but they have brought
so much joy to our lives.  I was one who in the begining of my ferret
owner days said no way am I going to adopt because you don't know what
they might have or where they came from.  One of our first group just
passed this year and he was a Marshall's ferret.  He would have been 4
next month and he passed from Leukemia.  He was bought at a pet shop and
poor little guy never seemed "right" in the head.  He was always a little
slow but his brother who was deaf and sister kept a close eye on him and
kept him safe and he blossomed and even more so when we brought in some
other ferrets who were adopted.  I agree that the big breeders don't keep
a close enough eye on the breeding and maybe they do not live as long but
he brought joy to our lives for the time he was with us and I am not
sorry for having him.  Would I BUY a ferret from a pet store again?
Probably not because of what I know now.  Would I adopt again?  You
better believe it.  No we didn't know what we were getting into when we
adopted but what some of these ferrets came from (not the shelter but the
homes) and how they blossomed after coming to us brought us such joy to
see them act like the ferrets they should be allowed to be again even if
it would be for just a short time.  Yes there are responsible breeders
out there but let's not lose sight of the ones that are not.  I have a
friend that breeds and does not sell her babies and makes sure they all
go to good homes.  She takes not a cent for her babies and she also takes
in the unwanted and sick ferrets that no one wants.  Kudos to her for
being a caring loving person.  I have been to her home and have had the
time of my life(you know how you are :-) ) because you can see and feel
the love.  She doesn't just "have" ferrets or just "owns" them but she
loves them and they love her.  She is not a shelter and not a breeding
seller but she does it for the pure love of the ferret.

I know I have run off here and I guess I should just go back to lurking
and I guess the true moral to all this talk this week is that no matter
what the consequences if we see something we should SPEAK UP!!!  and
EDUCATE and RESEARCH everything!!!

Thank you to everyone that posted both anon and with their emails because
it surely was an eye opener on boths sides for me.  I am just thankful
that there is a place where we can come and talk about these things
because even though there can be bantering and flaming we still get the
point out there on both sides!!

Thank you BIG
Love & angel hugs to everyone and their fur kids
Debbie