From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:05:15 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=15335

As far as surgery goes, I would recommend using just a gas for anesthesia
(ie Iso or preferably SEVO) instead of the injectables (domitor+ketamine,
etc).  Removing the left adrenal gland is usually easy to do, so that
part of the surgery should go just fine.  The elevated BUN is also a
concern.  I would recommend slow drip IV fluids (LRS,.NACL, or Normosol)
during the surgery.  It may be a good thing to add Dextrose to the IV
fluids also.  Cysts on the kidneys do not usually cause kidney failure
(CRF), so removing the kidney may not help with the BUN/kidney problem.
Draining the cyst may be an option also.  After the surgery reducing the
protein level of the diet may help, adding omega-3 oils (ie fish oil),
reducing the phosphorous level and adding potassium citrate may also help
the kidney problem.  Using Hill's feline K/D or Eukanuba feline renal
diet mixed 50/50 with Totally Ferrets Senior food or Marshall's senior
food would be my suggestion.

Hope that helps and everything goes well,
Jerry Murray, DVM

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=15356&startid=15357

Since they are putting in an IV catheter, I would suggest using
Propofol for induction then using Iso or Sevo for maintenance.  I
would avoid domitor!  If they will be putting in the IV catheter after
induction, then I would use Iso or Sevo to mask her down, then put
the catheter in and maintain her with Iso or Sevo.  Yes, the food
supplement (not available over here) sounds like it would be beneficial
to help manage the kidney problem.  In ferrets, it is very common for the
BUN to be elevated and for the creatinine to remain normal in chronic
renal failure.  (Sorry I do not know the reason for this ferret specific
difference.)

Good luck with her surgery,
Jerry Murray, DVM