From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:30:50 EDT
Seems to me I owe you a conclusion to the FML story that has been running
here over the last few weeks.  And it just so happens that this is the
5000th issue, so let me try to combine the two events.

First, I am overwhelmed by your generosity.  Our target of $5000 has not
only been met, it has been exceeded by a very substantial amount!  This
money is so important now to selfless people who are rescuing ferrets in
the aftermath of hurricane Katrina and other disasters as well as to the
quiet rescuers who take care of unwanted ferrets day after day.  Thank
you!

The final tally can be found at one of these two addresses (I'm told the
web site was being moved as I write this so I don't know which will be
in effect when you read this):

http://www.geocities.com/imdella/fml5000.html
 or
http://www.geocities.com/imdella/X-fml5000.html

Second, perhaps the conclusion to the story will sum it all up.

Bill

The story was passed from Sandy Weaver - Deem

 ... Christinaferret felt herself beginning to faint ...

and over to BIG:

... as her knees began to wobble, Dook rushed over to catch her.  He
held her in his paws as he looked lovingly into her eyes until she
regained consciousness.  Opening her eyes now, their gazes met briefly...
until they both remembered her mother and Snap Fish were watching.

Snapping back (no pun intended) to confused reality, Christinaferret
stammered "but... but... how can this be?  All this magic surrounds us,
yet the evil Hiss-Hiss still has managed to steal the dookdom?"

"You don't understand, my dear." the Queen says.

"No, no, they certainly don't understand, I see, they certainly
don't...", continued Snap Fish.  "If you're going to lead this dookdom,
you had better figure this stuff out!"

Confused, the Dook wonders aloud "and just how are we to do that?!"
His eyes sweep the room as he again notices the fine tools lining the
walls.  Every tool is handcrafted, each with some odd scribbling that he
couldn't see clearly enough to read.

Christinaferret's eyes also wander, mysteriously being drawn to a large
multi-faceted jewel mounted on a ring.  As she strains to make out the
odd design inscribed on the ring, she notices her reflections on each
of the polished surfaces.  But something is strange here -- the
reflections -- they are not of her, but rather each is of a different
ferret!  There are tiny sprites and giant hobs, dark sables and light
albinos, young ones, old ones, even ones at the rainbow bridge!  And
the scribbling on the tools now becomes clear to the Dook -- they are
people's names.

And then it all falls in place.  This magic isn't the magic of Snap Fish,
or Queen Akasha.  It's not the magic of Morgaine nor that of the evil
Count Hiss-Hiss.  This magic is the power of all the ferrets working
together to make lives better for ferrets everywhere!  It's loving and
caring and sharing and opening our hearts that makes the magic work.

Christinaferret and the Dook felt stronger and stronger as they realized
what was behind their magic.  They positively beamed with exuberance as
they rose to their feet and marched out of the cave, followed by cheering
supporters all the way.  Up to the castle they went and with a confidence
never felt before, they confronted the evil Count who ran right right
into the litterbox box to hide.

Thanks to the love of all the residents, the dookdom was saved.  Right
then and there Christinaferret and the Dook of Cornish Hen were wed as
the crowd wardanced with joy.  The Dook knelt before Christinaferret and
slipped the ring over her paw.  The odd design on the ring was visible
now; it wasn't a design at all, but three initials standing for all the
ferrets of the dookdom.  They were "FML".

And what became of the Evil Count, you may ask?  He accepted a job with
the California Fish and Game Department.  "Sigh, there is still work to
be done," Snap Fish says.

Thanks to all of the residents who have helped make the world a better
place for ferrets over the past 5000 issues.  Thanks to all of YOU!