From:
Patty Asheuer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:39:35 -0400
Just an FYI, there are breeder's that are judges at the shows but in
looking at the AFA Judges and Judges in training, there is approximately
13 or more judges out of the 23 that are not breeders.  And not all the
breeder's judge at the show because most have ferrets going into the
rings, have tables to take care of and are talking to the people coming
in.  All in all, I see that it is quite fair.  Also, breeder judges are
not allowed to judge their own ferrets.  They are removed from the ring
they are judging.  There are at times more non-breeding judges judging
classes than judges who breed.  The judging standards came about
collectively from all the judges not just the breeder judges.  And
with the point system, the highest number of the points that ferrets
can get is from the Disposition and Health & Maintenance category,
which is more maintained by the owner.

And as the person who takes the winners pictures of the specialty and
title classes for the AFA, I SEE a lot of people who are first time
ferret showers who win.  And I also see in the specialty classes, most
of the placing ferrets and the 1st place winner are from pet shops or
shelter/rescues.  Maybe 3 or 4 specialty winners might be breeder
ferrets.

Patty