From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:15:42 -0400
Here is a human cognitive load study from Brandeis which *MIGHT* also
have implications for the training considerations partially hearing
ferrets or other animals.  If a way could be found to better chunk then
the training techniques *MIGHT* help even more.  That might be a long
shot, but it might also be worth figuring out ways to try it to see if
it might help.

>Waltham, Mass.  -- In a new study, Brandeis University researchers
>conclude that older adults with mild-to-moderate hearing loss may
>expend so much cognitive energy on hearing accurately that their
>ability to remember spoken language suffers as a result.
>
>..."The effect of expending extra effort comprehending words means
>there are fewer cognitive resources for higher level comprehension."

Might it be that trying to learn sounds which are sometimes garbled
also impacts recall and connecting the sounds to meaning for ferrets?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-08/bu-hli082905.php
---

Speaking as someone who has adopted special needs ferrets:
Some are compromised enough that the stress of learning a new family
would simply be unfair to them, BUT for some it may be that shelters
could arrange for potential adopters to come in and work and play with
those individuals repeatedly over time to see if they might work out for
the little one, and to in the meantime check to make sure that they can
be relied on to provide the needed vet care.  When all the important
points come together then it might help shelters to be able to find some
special homes for certain special needs ferrets.

Special needs ferrets DO have special needs and not everyone can meet
them.  How is that for an understatement?  Thinking back to our two most
complicated (multiply deformed) ones: One took 3 years to teach to not
give drive-by deep canine bites, needed very special care medically, and
was never able to understand ferret body language.  Another also required
very special medical care and his vet care alone amounted to $11,500 over
his lifetime.

So, basically, it is naive to lump special needs ferrets together and
assume that they all must be adoptable or unadoptable, and finding those
people who can handle special needs is likely to be a very time consuming
process (as should be proving that one can handle such ferrets), and some
ferrets simply could not deal with the stress.

If someone wants to adopt one of these individual I think the method that
is most fair to the ferret is to provide a vet statement about your
abilities, then visit and help with this individual often to see if the
individual accepts you as a source of comfort and care, and honestly
(even though I haven't heard of this being done), for some ferrets I
think that if the shelter wants to ask if you can afford the care needed
that isn't out of line, simply because it isn't optional but instead is
actually needed.

BTW, there ARE medical conditions which make a change of home, of
temperature, etc. a risk factor.  Those problems include advanced
cardiomyopathy, and ulcers.

Also, the people who best know these ferrets and their needs are those
who care for them each day and their vets; assessments from afar are
usually valueless.  Pretending otherwise is just arguing for argument's
sake.

On the other hand, if a shelter has someone like -- say -- an adrenal
ferret who is in a shelter that can only afford melatonin, but an adopter
knows the condition, has a great vet, and can afford surgery, Lupron
Depot, or both then obviously in this case the adoptive home -- if the
ferret takes to the adopter and can handle stress enough healthwise --
is the better option for the ferret.  It's a case by case problem.

Some people who think that they are the best solution for animals are
hoarders, and that is always a sad -- but luckily rare -- sickness to be
aware of.  For the most part, though, I think that those with shelters
really are good and knowledgeable and really do restrict the ferrets who
can't be adopted out to those who would be placed at too much risk to
even try it.

Beware the rumor mill and sensationalism because both usually are wrong.
If facts are slim and the post is a slam treat it as you would treat
ferret feces.  That goes for news stories and rumors.