Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:35:06 -0700
I wanted to take a moment to thank all those who were recently impacted
by my recent family tragedy.  Marylou at Ferrets got my column weeks
late and has been nothing but supportive--not even asking me for it even
though her deadline is near.  Notes and calls from Kim in Chicago meant
a great deal even though I haven't yet responded to any of them.  My
two buds in Columbia who helped me out with my ferrets are owed a great
deal.  There were many other people involved that are not in the ferret
community that I thank, but since none of you know them, I'll yet you
guess their names.

I hardly ever thank anyone on the FML by name (of course, I rarely
mention ANYONE by name).  There are two reasons why I don't, and neither
is because I am unthankful.  When you plant your feet and stick out your
chin on controversial issues, a lot of people see you in a favorable
light.  If you are doing it right, some people will naturally see you
negatively, and some of them project their dislike of me towards the
people who help or otherwise support me.  I figure that if I'm going to
be a lightning rod, I might as well try to keep my friends from being
electrocuted.  The other reason is more personal.  I'm a Quaker, and I
think that if you give a gift that is kept quiet among the people
involved, it becomes treasure in heaven.  That is so part of my personal
culture that I after I say thank-you, I never mention it again.  But that
should never be seen as being unappreciative or uncaring; I'm just trying
to build your treasure.

However, I've lately decided that I will change that policy.  I have been
doing a lot of travel lately, and the one complaint I hear most about
the FML is the amount of bickering from some of the members.  I can't
speak for Bill, but I can say that is a normal attribute of a familial
situation.  You have to expect it, and I think you have to accept it.
We are humans and that is what humans do.  We don't poop in the corner--
we just spread our crap on whatever media is available to us.

The problem is, complaints have more of an impact than the other stuff.
A couple of complaints a week and I hear (while on the road) that the FML
is full of bickering.  So, maybe what we need is a few people who point
out some of the good stuff.  So, I'll be first today thanking Marylou and
Kim and my buds:

Thank you.  It has been a hard week and a half, and I appreciate your
understanding and compassion.  You have helped me and made my life
better.

I also want to thank everyone who has sent emails in the last month for
their patience and understanding.  I will hunker down and answer them as
soon as I can.

I'll post more thank-yous shortly.

Bob C  [log in to unmask]