From:
Rosemary Claire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:14:05 -0700
I have read these posts for some time and have been attending ferret
shows as an observer for about the past three to four years.  What I am
seeing and hearing is both humorous and disheartening.

What sweet creatures these ferrets be!  So why is there such venom
between two groups who both proclaim love and affection for them?  As
a former dog exhibitor (and one who is darned glad to be out of the
politics), I am at a loss as to why one group (take your pick as to which
one, it doesn't matter) feels it/they are better than the other.  One
prefers one type of vaccine, one doesn't.  One requires certain things
to be a member or show.  The other has different requirements.  And then
the fighting and backbiting ensues.  Get over it, kids.

I can take a vaccine, any vaccine, and tell you the pros and cons.  It's
a choice.  We are in American, right?  When my daughter was growing up,
there was a huge controversy about the whooping cough vaccine.  Many
parents opted out.  I did not.  Was I right and they were wrong?  Nope.
I made an decision based on the information at hand.  So did they.  I
have spoken to vets regarding the vaccines being argued.  Some vets will
give certain ones, others couldn't be paid enough to do it -- they flatly
refuse.

So, does one club have the right to require certain things to show at
their exhibitions?  Damned skippy.  But if someone chooses to not comply
and go elsewhere, does that make them wrong or a bad
breeder/shelter/exhibitor?  No.  They simply choose to NOT conform to
established guidlines posted by one group.

These are just examples, of course.  What it comes down to is this: NO
ONE has the right to defame someone else.  Our lips flap with abandon and
lack of forethought quite frequently.  We hide behind the statements that
we are trying to make the world more ferret (or dog or cat or horse or
cow or sheep or whatever) friendly.  Baloney!  If that were really the
case, it wouldn't be us against them.  It would be, quite simply, united
we stand.

The recent discussions about shelters is demeaning.  It's no one's
business.  If you don't like a shelter, fine.  Don't go there.  But don't
run your mouth without privately discussing the issue with the person in
charge of the shelter first.  Professionally, personally, morally and
ethically you both deserve the opportunity.  Only a coward takes a cheap
shot.  It's no different than confronting the person who allegedly
slammed a ferret onto the concrete at a show.  No good is coming of that
allegation at this point in time except to foster more pointless
discussion over an issue that hasn't even been confirmed.

Villification of someone, regardless of the issue, can have far-reaching
effects.  It can lead to loss of income and damage of reputation to say
the least.  An ultimate outcome can be legal action.  No one needs that
because some gutless wonder has taken a thoughtless swipe at another
person/club/shelter.

I don't believe another should be asked to give up their beliefs.  I do
feel, however, that consideration of expanding them is an option.  At the
very least, truly consider these mighty-mights we call ferrets and adopt
some of the dignity they display when it comes to dealing with other
ferret fanciers.

Rosemary
Dragon's Rose, LLC