From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:32:48 -0400
I was asked the following in a private message and thought the answer
would be helpful/interesting to all:

> What is the ELF fund, and FML 5000?  Where do these donations go?
>
> Will the Katrina donation actually get to a ferret shelter that has
> taken them, if they got out at all?

The Emergency Love Fund was founded with the goal of helping shelters in
cases where SOS could not, but their bylaws, provide assistance.  SOS
funding goes directly to vets or to companies that send ferret products
to shelters.  We started the fund after the hurricanes of August 2004,
where several shelters in Florida sustained damage.  The purpose of the
fund is to provide relief in case of natural or man-made disasters, such
as, but is not limited to: fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, tornado,
and other situations the directors deem appropriate.  Specific ELF
Guidelines:

* Recipients of the funds must be a ferret shelter in the United
  States or Canada.
* Disbursements may be in any amount up to $500.
* Funds disbursed may be directed for use for a specific purpose such
  as a new generator, roof repair, etc., or may be granted without
  limitations on use, as determined by the IFC board.
* Anyone may recommend shelters to be recipients. Recipients are
  determined by the IFC board and require a unanimous vote.

The FML 5000 was a fund raiser to commemorate the 5000th issue of the
Ferret Mailing List.  Bill Gruber, moderator of the list, choose SOS
and ELF as the recipients of that money donated.

Some of the donations to ELF have been made with the request that they
go to Katrina victims.  We are honoring that as best we can verify the
ferrets are actually in need due to Katrina.  To date we have sent $600
to shelters that were either directly affected by Katrina or have taken
in ferrets.  We have used some of the donations to mail care packages
(with products donated by companies and individuals) to several
people/shelters who have taken in Katrina ferrets.  We also plan to use
some of the money to assist in transportation costs for those who are
helping to move ferrets to safe locations.

Non-Katrina ELF funds will be used where we cannot identify the ferrets
as Katrina victims but there is still a clear need, or for other
emergencies that may arise, such as Hurricane Rita, now heading straight
for Texas and one of the relief shelters, who is planning to evacuate.

There are ferrets coming out of the Katrina affected areas.  At first
they were mostly surrendered (either temporarily or permanently) by their
owners, but we are also helping some that were taken with other animals
to animal shelters or were found on the streets.  All found ferrets will
be posted with pictures on PetFinder to try to locate owners.  This
listing is being monitored for both lost and found ferrets in the area.

If anyone has any other questions about how the funds are used, we are
happy to answer.

Linda Iroff
International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org