From:
DOOK-WOOF-DOOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:23:23 -0400
Ok, lets play this little Laura Scenario out here from yesterday's post.
Everyone today, stops breeding completely (Ferrets, Dogs and Cats-most
people have them).  All companion animals in the world are fixed.  (Ideal
world here).  In about 50 days every puppy, kitten or ferret is born.
(sorry, not sure of the gestation of a kitten).  In 7-10 years from now,
we will have no more domestic ferrets, in 10-15 years, no more dogs , and
in 15-19 years, no more cats.  What a sad world this would be without an
companion animals.  Now if you are happy with your petstore ferrets, good
for you.  I am not.  I had one ferret who was full blown adrenal at 8
months old, I have another ferret who is full blow adrenal at 2 years
old.  (Personal Ferrets Here).  That to me is TOTALLY unacceptable.
And probably one of the main reasons why so many ferrets are in
shelters/rescues and why so many of the shelters/rescues are spending
millions of dollars each year to fix those issues.  People don't want to
drop $500 on up for a surgery 2 years after they get a pet.  As far as
I am concerned we need more GOOD ferret breeders out there.  The ones I
know from the shows I admire and look up to.  They have EXCELLENT lines,
they breed the best of the best and it shows.  Their ferrets have very
little health issues and live good lives.  We don't tolerate all these
health issues with our dogs and cats, why should be tolerate them with
ferrets?

I have bred my ferrets one time.  I bred simply to provide better ferrets
genetically speaking.  However, I found that most adoptive parents are
better suited with a rescue ferret then a home bred kit for one reason or
another.  (14 kits to begin with, I have 7 left, because I have not found
the right home for them).  I FIRST and FOREMOST promote a rescue ferret
or shih tzu.  No if, ands or buts.  I don't know who you are talking to
in the "ferret community" or where you are getting your information.  You
don't attend shows I assume, because there are alot of breeders who also
do rescue.  Here in the east coast, that goes hand in hand.  Some may
take in more ferrets then others, but the majority do some form of rescue
or are directly hooked up with a rescue and donate time etc.

I breed my dogs for the very same reason, to provide good, sound, healthy
dogs to families.  If you do your research, most dogs that are in rescue
are not pure bred dogs, which means good breeders do a pretty good job at
breeding and screening potential owners, and homing their offspring.  We
also offer live time guarantees on the dog (I also do on my ferrets both
rescue and homebred) that in any time in their life, they can't keep the
pet, they must return the animal back here and I will rehome them.  No
questions ask, I know lifestyles change, issues arise etc.  Also most
whole ferrets or late alters are not in rescue.  The ferrets in rescue
are ones who have been massively bred, sold at petstores and the people
were very misinformed when they purchased them.  They were not told how
to care for this animal, leading to a host of reasons why they are
surrendered.

Anyway, I think everyone is done with this subject.  They don't want to
hear this banter all the time.  Lets try to have people INNOCENT UNTIL
PROVEN GUILTY instead of the other way around.  I bet you dimes to dozens
the people you are talking to never have even met me, or have been here.
How can you as a person pass judgment on one without knowing them?  I
really honestly don't understand that.  It is sad that two days are spent
arguing over whether I paid the cheapest shipping I could pay, which is
what this boils down to.  I sent the packages, I did exactly what I said
I was going to do.  If that makes me a bad person, then so be it.  I did
what I had to do, what I could afford to do, and what I was able to
physically do right now to help out the ferrets in need.  If I were out
to scam people, which I would never, ever do, I would not do it on such
a HIGH profile basis, especially announce to the world on the FML 5000
day.  Or to the numerous other groups.

Please...........lets talk about helping other shelters who need us like
Heaven Scent, and how we can make a "positive" difference in her life
right now.  The world today is hard enough to cope with and try to live
in, make people smile instead, it is much more rewarding.

I am off to clean my fuzzies...............

Marguerite
Proud Temporary Mommie to 35 Wonderful (yes some are naughty) Ferrets
looking for homes or sponsorships.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but
how many times it takes your breath away...
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm
Aloha Ferrets Ebay Store