Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:27:41 -0700
Dooks All ~!~!

Having been an emergency responder - I would like to give my thought on
the rescue / shelter of animals in a disaster.  I have been in the
situation where I had to evacuate people and tell them thier animals
could not come to the shelter - they had to be left behind.  I remember
many people crying wondering if they would ever see thier pets again.
Several others stood defiant saying, "If they can't go - then I won't
either".

I would like to see a joint shelter area for people and thier pets -
something in close proximity.  Human and animal are registered in
together (best way to get the animals info is from the owner).  Human
goes one way to be checked by the medical personnel and get assigned a
cot.  Animal goes to be checked by the vet and checked into a cage or
carrier.

Once they get situated, the owner can come visit his pet.  Give them time
to be togther, hold each other, maybe even cry together.  This bond may
aid in the psychological healing process.

Owner is told it is thier responsibility to help care for the animal
(outside of medical care).  To walk them, play with them, feed them and
clean up after them.  After all, the owner should know the animals
temperament better than a stranger.  And we know that some animals will
be depressed if thier owner is not around.  Plus it helps free up
volunteers to deal with animals without owners.

Encourage the owner to assist at the animal shelter area.  Moving
supplies, cleaning, helping care for the other animals.  This would help
the person to feel useful and productive.  It gives them something to do.
Otherwise they may feel helpless, a victim.  Helplessness is a terrible
feeling.

I've been there.  There was a major fire in my town that threatened
my home.  I was an auxiliary police officer and the communications
coordinator.  My supervisors relieved me of duty because it was my home.
They thought they were doing the right thing.  Yet I felt helpless -
there was nothing to do but watch everything go up in flames.  I was
trained to act and now I could do nothing.

I would like to see the human / animal bond preserved as much as possible
in disasters such as Katrina.  That animal may be the persons only
family, only friend, may well be the only thing they have left in the
world.  I believe it would help in the grieving process and the recovery
process.

I know that if I were faced with a disaster, I would like to have my
animals to hold . . or at least to know they were safe.

I'd be curious to hear from some of the animal rescue groups if this has
ever been attempted and what the results were.

Warm Fuzzies ~!~!
Kevin B & The Way Kewl Kritter Crew    [log in to unmask]
Pacific Ferret Shelter Network VP http://www.FERRETNET.ORG