Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:12:40 -0400
Right now, as we sit and see the horrors unfold in the south, we are all
left feeling a little helpless.  We all know that it could have been a
different disaster, and could have been us.  We see people left with
nothing, and our hearts break.  We want to help - even need to help - so
that we can feel a little better.

The most frustrating part is, aside from donating money, there is little
most of us can actually do.  Only approved and trained rescue workers are
being allowed into the hard hit areas.  Even if we loaded our cars with
items, and drove down to the area, we likely would not be able to help.
In fact, we would more then likely be in the way, and would be hindering
operations.

But, rescue workers are going in, and they are rescuing some of the
people and animals that are stranded there.  Unfortunately, not all of
them will be saved.  But, we need to look at the positive, and know that
some are being saved.

Right now, there are rumors on the Internet that officials are refusing
to let the animal rescue workers in to do their job.  I can't say for
certain that this is completely false, but I can point you to the ASPCA
webpage that gives up to date information on the rescue efforts.  By
reading the information on this site, it is obvious that some animals
are being saved.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=hurricane_diary

There is also a page with pictures from the Emergency Animal Shelter that
was set up in Layfayette.  If you scroll down to the last picture, there
are ferrets shown with their dad.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=hurricane_photos_blackham

Still, ferrets are not often covered in the news.  While it is nice to
see articles and news clips about other animals being saved, those of us
with a soft spot for ferrets want to know that they are being included.

As most of you know, the IFC, SOS and others from this list have banded
together to provide help to the rescue workers who come upon ferrets, and
finally we are hearing some stories about ferrets that have been saved.

Vicki Montgomery, who runs the Tricks and Treats Rescue in Houston, Texas
has already received 8 ferrets from New Orleans.  They were taken out by
their family, who evacuated to Houston.  Because the shelter where the
family was staying could not accommodate animals, the local authorities
referred the ferrets to Vicki.  She will be providing them with a foster
home until their owners can make some kind of permanent arrangements.
It is believed that the family lost everything, so it may be some time
before they can take the ferrets back, though.  Vicki can also take more,
if necessary.

Another family with ferrets made it to Louisville, KY.  Again, they
needed someplace for their ferrets to be held.  Jerri Carel of The
Ferret Haven has taken them.  There are some medical issues with these
kids, but they are being taken care of.

New Orleans was not the only place that was hit hard.  Biloxi, MS was not
flooded like New Orleans, but the high winds took down many homes, and
killed many people.  In one instance, a house was found where the entire
family had been killed, except for the 3 ferrets.  Apparently, their
cage had saved their lives when the house collapsed.  It is tragic that
the family died, but a miracle that the ferrets were spared.  They were
transported to Maren Doshier at the Raisins from Heaven Ferret Rescue and
Sanctuary.  Maren has also taken in 3 other ferret pairs, plus 5 ferrets
from a Gulf Port pet store, and while she is pretty full, will likely
take more as needed.

I know that so many of you want to help in whatever way you can.  What
I can tell you right now is that more then likely most of the help will
be needed in the coming weeks and months.  Many people who left the
destroyed areas with their animals may be able to find temporary shelter
for now, but will eventually need our assistance.

What we need to do is be willing to be patient, and when the need arises,
be ready to help.

One thing that really worries me right now is, this is only early
September.  The National Hurricane Center is calling for above normal
tropical storm activity well into November.  The following paragraph is
copied from the NOAA website:
       http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2484.htm

NOAA expects an additional 11 to 14 tropical storms from August through
November, with seven to nine becoming hurricanes, including three to
five major hurricanes. In total, this season is likely to yield 18 to 21
tropical storms, with nine to 11 becoming hurricanes, including five to
seven major hurricanes.

While I hope not, it is very possible that other areas may be hit by
severe storms in the coming months, and more people may end up needing
help.

--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator