From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:32:42 -0400
When both adrenals come out completely or when one is atrophied and
the other comes out the ferret should have sodium potassium leveles and
ratio checked regularly, and it can be a very good idea to just plain
give Prednisolone (for fluid balance) and Fludrocort/Florinef or
Percorten to maintain proper electrolyte levels and balance.  It makes
sense to do the blood tests for any ferrrets after adrenal surgery.  Not
replacing some missing adrenal cortical products with meds becomes fatal
from Addison Crisis.

Hope this makes sense enough to read; I am fvering.

The med amounts needed are not large nor expensive.  We have one whose
adrenals were so inflammed from neighboring hydronephrosis that they came
out at the same time.  He gets about 0.2 mg Prednisolone twice daily and
1/4 of a 0.1 mg serated Fludrocort pill once a day.  (If a pill is not
serrated then the med is not evenly mixed.) Ferrets can be on this type
of routine for a lifetime and usually have no trouble at all.  If the
ferret becomes more active or is physically challenged then the amounts
may need to be increased then.  Expect some adjustments.

Please, LOOK UP ADDISON (or Addisons, or Addisonian) in

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org