From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:03:14 -0400
Being verbose by nature :) there are a number of posts over the past few
days I'd like to comment upon being topics rather near and dear to my
heart (that's the spot right behind the one all the ferrets I've known
take up - they are the ones that helped form my opinions!).

1) Adopting found ferrets - Katrina or otherwise. - All groups need to
a) abide by local law and b) by common "do onto others!"  Yes - all found
ferrets are just that - foundlings - until a certain period has passed.
30 days is pretty much accepted though local ordinances vary.  I am
trying to accumulate (HA!) a list of posts with issues raised to help
formulate a protocol for future situations.  As Linda mentioned the
ferret in question has been posted as found - and if her owner should
turn up (YAHOO!!) I am confident the person she is with will - perhaps
with great sadness - otherwise happily reunite her with her owner.
As for the good news - I understand the person who took her in is
considering becoming a shelter - so more cause to rejoice!.

But the point is very valid and one that we must always consider.  Even
if it's having to return a ferret to a home the shelter would never
consider adopting to....that is a special sort of hell for a shelter
operator....but one that we all eventaully face.

2) "Katrina" ferrets - Yes - ALL homeless ferrets are Katrina ferrets -
I never understood the need to have a pet from a certain
place/time/situation - that's right up there with wanting a certain
color/size/whatever.  LOL If it's homeless and you have space - take one
in!  If you can't afford the vet bills - look into fostering!  The
wonderful part of the ferret world is that there are people with homes/no
money and people with money/no room or circumstances that don't allow
another in their home.  FOSTER!  At FACT we pay the med bills.  We would
even consider paying food if necessary - ANYTHING to keep a ferret in a
home versus a shelter environment.  No ferret should have to live as part
of a herd!  They deserve better!!!

3) USDA Guidelines - DO IT!  (Hi Patty!  Long time! :) ) Of course, I
haven't yet :-[ but will as will our shelter director and as many of the
board as I can ride herd on.  Actually have been working on my draft
reply.... :)

4) 501(c)3 - is not all it's made out to be.  Each states laws' vary.
In CT, one must become a 501(c)3 to be recognized as a non-profit.  Some
states do not require federal recognition.  And the feds don't want to
know you if a) all your funding is out of pocket (in other words, you
are a "private foundation." and b) couldn't care less if you take in less
than - I THINK - it's $5000 per year.

Not everyone who runs a shelter CAN become 501(c)3.  The law is weird -
you have to be getting donations from people so that you can qualify to
be a non-profit (go read the law - no one could possibly make this stuff
up!).  All the IRS and the feds care about is someone trying to take a
tax deduction!  They care not how the money is raised or worse - SPENT.
So I suggest care in suggesting that 501(c) 3's be the only groups to
support.

Bottom line - donating to a 501(c)3 is NOT a guarantee that your
donations are not being misused!!!  It is your right and responsibility
to verify the orgainzation's position, organizational goals, and track
record before you lay down 1 penny!

5) Breeding - that is a topic for an entire post :) no one has the
answer - just opinion :)  Will happily share mine - some other evening.

Night all!

Ann Gruden, President
Ferret Assn of CT, Inc. - FACT