From:
Katharine Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:25:54 -0400
This was posted at an animal rescue group I belong to.  I think it's
good advice for those of you considering rescuing, transporting, and
fostering/adopting ferrets (or any other animals) from the hurricane
zones.

It's important to remember that many have been exposed to diseases and
parasites that could kill every animal in your home.  I think the 10 day
to 2 week ISOLATION should be strictly adhered to.  I think it would be
safest if that is done outside of the area where your animals are housed,
perhaps at a boarding facility or your vet's office.  These places are
equipped to follow proper isolation procedures.  It seems they are
recommending an immediate vet visit and isolation prior to transport and
placement.  This should be kept in mind by those of you planning rescues
from these areas.

It's just basic common sense but there is a much higher risk than
bringing in a stray from your local (non-hurricane) area.

Katharine

I just got off the phone with XXX XXX's office here in Lafayette.  She is
the vet who is the state liaison for the LVMA rescue program involving
the evacuation shelters.  Things are going well at all the LVMA/LA SPCA
evacuation shelters...plenty of donations, volunteers, etc.  The tech
did mention to me what was told to me last night by my friend who is a
vet( he also has a PhD in infectious diseases) with a practice in the
area of the Lamar Dixon animal evacuation shelter.  The animals being
rescued have been exposed to much stress, illness and disease.  Those
being rescued now are probably in really rough shape.  In my friend's vet
practice near the Lamar Dixon animal evacuation center, he is seeing lots
of dehydration, URI and diarrhea.  While it is extremely remote that one
would contact something like TB from the animal, there is a very real
possibility of some illness which could be spread to your own animals,
and possibly some undesirable things passed on to you.  While it is
admirable that one would want to adopt these rescued animals, the chance
is very real that the animal you take in could spread sickness to your
whole household of pets.  We have all been through the household full of
kennel cough.  Therefore, it is imperative that these animals see a vet
right away, and that they be isolated....at least 10 days, but I would
isolate 2 weeks if it were me.  He recommends gloves, lots of cleaning
with bleach solution, scrubbing up very well when going from isolation to
the other animals....just good, common sense which we should all be
practicing, anyway, when we take in a foster.  We all want to help these
animals, but want to keep the animals in our homes and in our shelters
safe while we do it.  The rescue groups coming in are trained to do all
these things, but I worry about you guys bound and determined to go in
on your own.