From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:03:14 -0400
What TYPE of smell?

If you mean the skunky smell there are glands behind and below their
ears that also release musk.  They can increase their output with yawns,
but more so with sneezing or nose blowing, and you will notice that when
they "face-wash" they often will also hold their noses to force a sneeze
and then smear that signature perfume over their faces.

BTW, this also means that it is virtually effortless to teach them to
blow their noses in a cloth handkerchief -- something we have used both
to help sick ones clear their noses, and to put stuck up dog or cat
owners "in their places" as my dad used say about us when we got full
of ourselves...

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives